• 01284 701 301
  • info@wsc.ac.uk
  • Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 4:30pm

What do lab tech apprentices do? Should I apply for a science apprenticeship?

July 12th, 2017 was the day I decided that I was going to drop out of my first year of sixth form. I was currently studying for my A-levels; PE, History, Biology and Chemistry. I was a sports and science scholar and I had no time to be a teenage girl, I was either studying at school, playing cricket or at home doing my assignments for the next week.  

My school day started at 7:30 and finished at 5:30, by the end of the first term I had dropped Chemistry. This meant I had more time to focus on my favourite subjects. By the Easter term I had then also dropped history and now would only get two A-levels.  

My teachers then thought that I was a SEN student and that I needed to have extra support for my learning as my grades were slipping. They were soon told that I wasn’t as I had an extremely good reading speed; my English skills were of a good quality and I soon learnt that when the school saw that someone was struggling they would also resort to wanting to diagnose that student with a learning disability. This I was not happy about, neither were my parents.  

That’s when I knew that staying in school was not for me. I knew that I couldn’t get into a university now as I was only taking two A-levels, so I had to start thinking what other avenues I could go down to stay in education but also earn some money. The sixth form didn’t really have the time of day for those students who didn’t want to go to Uni so I was forgotten about. I soon realised I needed to take matters in to my own hands.  

I had the support of my friends as they could see what the long days and the struggle of everyday school life was doing to me. I was constantly run down and would take any opportunity I could to sleep.  

When it got to the summer holidays I told a few close friends that I would not be coming back, they asked what I was going to do at that point I was unsure.  

My family and I went on holiday, I spent a lot of time thinking about what I could do. I went onto to the Gov.co.uk site and saw the apprenticeship section. I narrowed it down to the science sector and started scrolling… I came across Treatt but I could see the application date was the following day! As quick as I can I started filling it in getting my mum to proof read what I had written. I handed it in and waited.  

I wasn’t expecting to get anything back, about an hour after I had sent my application off I got a phone call from Treatt. They said that they had read my application and would love to meet me, during this time I was in the first week of a two-week holiday in Turkey. They wanted to see me as soon as possible! There was no way for me to get back so the day after I landed I headed to the college to meet them. They told me again that Treatt loved my application and would like to see me as soon as possible. The following week I found myself going through an interview process with 5 other people who were a lot older, a lot more qualified and not as half as nervous as what I was. I was only 17 and had no idea what was going on. The interview lasted for 5 hours. At the end of the day I left thinking I was never going to get the job, they said they would let us know within 3 days as they wanted the person who was lucky enough to get the job to start as soon as possible.  

Day three came and I received a phone call from an unknown number, it was Lisa the head of HR. she offered me the job and congratulated me.  

I started working at Treatt on the 23rd of august and I’m still here now, with one more month to go until my apprenticeship is over.  

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest